Church of Our Lady of Pópulo
For those who come from the center of the city, through Rua dos Correios, it arrives through the austere back, where there is a small square. To the left is the high wall of the College of Mothers, a monumental school where, before, they tell, the young people waited in their motorbikes for the good girls who studied there.
Around the church, there are side walls, adorned with large rectangular windows and arched doors, reminiscent of the colonial houses. Simple and solid in its gray color dotted with the green of the main door and the windows and by the white of architectural details.
The history of this church goes back to the seventeenth century and tells the oral tradition that was born by chance. Benguela was one of the main slave ports on the Angolan coast. From Praia Morena, a little further to the present temple, boats filled with slaves went to Brazil. On returning from South America, to maintain stability on the high seas, huge boulders filled the holds of ships. This way, little by little the beaches of Benguela were filling of mounds of Brazilian stone that a Benguela religious remembered to transform into church. The idea revenged and the construction of the building started by order of the governor Roque Vieira de Lima. The temple, meanwhile dedicated to Our Lady of Pópulo, attended its first mass on November 1, 1748.